Monday, February 9, 2015

Memory in the Classroom

Andraines Pinantoan discusses how memories are formed in, "How Memories Form-And Why Should You Care". We all probably know the basics. There are long and short term memories and often memories can be activated by a sound or smell. However, Pinantoan points out that memories are not always accurate because they can be influenced by other memories. These other memories could have occurred around the same time, in the same setting, or might have been a similar situation that caused facts to get mixed up.
Pinantoan's emphasis on sound, smell and setting influencing memory, gave me multiple ideas on how to run my classroom. I have been told in the past to study for each of my classes in different parts of my house in order to better remember the information I take in. If I had a math test, I could better remember a practice problem if I envisioned myself in the kitchen where I studied. But if I had a history test, then I would envision my living room because I studied for history in there. However, why use this strategy just for studying? In my classroom, I could utilize these memory tricks to help my students retain the information they learn through out the year. For each section taught, I could have the desk arrangement, posters, classical background music, and even air fresheners change when I switch to a new section.
I hope that in doing so, my students will be able to recall information due to their memories of the classroom setting at the time the lesson was taught.
website used: http://www.cerebralhacks.com/education-learning/how-memories-form-and-why-you-should-care/

No comments:

Post a Comment