Sunday, February 15, 2015

Music Used for More Than Just Dancing

When I study or do homework, I usually listen to classical music or Tibetan Singing bowls. I heard these forms of music were good for concentration because there are no lyrics to listen to. My eigth grade teacher use to put on classical music while we read in class; I believe she started my interest in classical music. Andrianes Pinantoan says in, "Can Music Improve Your Memory?" that music can do much more than just help concentration. Music can help people learn a new language, and help with medical issues such low blood pressure, Alzheimer's, and depression. According to Pinantoan, children who listen to music or are taught music at a young age show signs of a higher IQ and better memory skills compared to those who do not have any association with music.

The genre of music listened to is important as well because music effects a person's emotions. Pinantoan sites an experiment with rats to exemplify music's effect on emotion. Rats who listened to angry rock music ended up eating each other. Classical music showed positive results in various cases that Pinantoan discusses. It produces calming emotions that can help addicts who are trying to stop using, and can help people who are depressed produce happy endorphins.

Classical music is more useful then just having background noise that is not distracting. I will keep using music while studying and doing homework because it is calming. If it is also helping my memory or mood, this is great too.  I will put it on in the background while teaching class in hopes of promoting interest in classical music to my students.

Site Used: http://www.cerebralhacks.com/brain-exercises/can-music-improve-your-memory/

No comments:

Post a Comment