Monday, February 23, 2015

Looking Like a Teen While Teaching Teens

I will admit that I am at a slight disadvantage going into the high school teaching profession. I am pretty short, so walking through the hallways with authority may be a bit tough if I look like a teacher myself. Earning the respect of my students is the scariest aspect of teaching because I can achieve nothing without their respect. But are teenagers really that different from adults? Do they have a natural rebellious side that wants to come out. According to Andrianes Pinantoan, " most teens are simply trying to fulfill their goals socially and academically while discovering who and what they want to be and how to get there."
This article explains that teens come across as more rebellious because they have more boundaries than adults have. In pushing those boundaries, they are learning what they feel comfortable doing and what goes against their morals. Pinantoan explains that morals will never be learned if a student is not given a chance to test right and wrong for themselves. With a strong support system of family, school and community, Pinantoan explains that most teens will not feel the need to rebel, at least not to the extreme extent. This article tells me that, as a teacher I should not write off the rebellious student as someone who will not listen. I will just have to work harder to understand where they are coming from and establish that I am someone they can turn to if help is needed.

website used: http://www.cerebralhacks.com/brain-myths/are-teenagers-really-more-rebellious/

No comments:

Post a Comment