Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Exploring Methods of Discipline

Andrianes Pinantoan makes a good point in her article, "Why Discipline is Overrated" when she points out the fact that parents and teachers are losing their footing in discipline. The threat of getting sued by a child or parent for trying to discipline a child increases every day. I have asked my self on many occasions how I would keep control of my classroom or discipline my kids without overstepping the ever-enclosing boundaries of appropriate discipline.

Pinantoan argues that the reward system does work well in getting kids to behave well. If the reward is given out sporadically and not every time the child does something then they will be encouragd to keep doing the task. However, if rewards are the only reason the child is doing something then they are not learning good morals. They are learning to do something in order to get something, instead of doing something simply because it is the right thing to do.

I am not a parent or a teacher yet, but when I am, what will I choose? I hope that I can teach my kids and students good morals through praise and explanation. But I have seen parents give in to the easy method of just handing the child a reward or taking something they love away without explaining the significance of their actions that caused the reward or punishment. I believe communication is the best way to handle any situation. A child should be told when they are doing something wrong but also what they are doing right.

website used: http://www.cerebralhacks.com/education-learning/why-discipline-is-overrated/

No comments:

Post a Comment