Wednesday, January 28, 2015

My Future Role As A Teacher: Effects of E-Learning

Dana Rosen's article, "From Chalkboards to Chat Boards: What Will E-Learning Look Like in 2075" forced me to accept that my current vision of what teaching will be like is partially skewed. As a future literature teacher, I envisioned sitting in a circle with my class, and guiding them through a discussion about the book we are reading. I envisioned myself as the sole provider of information, the one that the students looked to for help.

With a mixed sense of regret and relief, I realize that my vision of the classroom needs to be revised. Rosen points out many technologies that will make my job easier when teaching. However, I must admit that I am not a very technology oriented person and it is kind of defeating to know that a computer can replace me as a teacher. Rosen's final words scared me when she said that schools could become obsolete due to the ability to learn online, but she did reassure me by pointing out that teachers can still be utilized in other way such as mentors.

I am interested in learning more about what technology can do for me when teaching literature. Although I am old-fashioned and like to read actual paper books in order to scribble notes all over the pages; I know that not everyone learns the same way as me. I look forward to inspiring my students to love reading with the help of this technology.

website used: http://www.edudemic.com/chalkboards-chat-boards-will-elearning-look-like-2075/

No comments:

Post a Comment